Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Big Win At Wrigley, and other Windy City Highlights

This past weekend Nikki, Eric and I headed to Chicago. We stayed with my "lil' sis" Nathan and went to the Cubs vs. Cards game at Wrigley on Saturday. I had not been to Wrigley since I was about eight, and as you might expect not too much has changed. I have to admit, even though it is the home of the rival Cubs, Wrigley is kind of cool. The ivy is truly unique and I enjoyed the "old school" vibe. We also managed to see the only game that the Cards won that series... they beat up Big Z pretty good. Eric tossed out a new name for Skip Schumaker at Wrigley as well. I usually call him "Skippy", and Eric usually goes with "Schu", but for some reason when he came up to bat Eric took it a little further and went with Let's Go "Schu-man-chu"... evidently Skippy is a fan of the new nickname... he went yard!

It was very weird and wrong to see Jim Edmonds as a Cub. I still love him, but as long as he is a Cub I will root against him. You can tell he still has fond feelings for me, when I was there in person he struck out a lot.

It was great to hang out with Nathan for the weekend. I had missed my lil' sis. He was a great host, making us pancakes on Saturday before heading out to the game, and then we all pitched in for a community effort on grilling out an awesome dinner. We also hit Sheffield's for some good beer before the game. He even drove Eric & I to the Metra station on Sunday evening to catch the train. I was a little disappointed to not me able to meet Nathan's squeeze, Stacey, but she was actually packing up her stuff in Nashville, TN and will be moving up to Chicago to be with Nathan later this week. On Sunday we went out for breakfast and met Nathan's college buddy, Maureen, and her boyfriend, Erik with a "K" who were back in the area from Boston visiting her parents. It was kind of cool because Nathan, Maureen and I all started dating Stacey, Eric and Erik right around the New Year and all of the relationships are working out fabulously.

Nik headed out of the city after breakfast on Sunday, but Eric and I stayed and met my friends Abe & Allison (see a link to their blog at the right) Sunday afternoon. They have been married just over a year, and like Eric and I met on Eharmony and had a long distance relationship. It was great to hang out with them, especially to bond over the ups and downs of the long distance relationship.

I like Chicago... at least to visit anyway. It was a great weekend with great friends.



No comments: