Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Roll"-in on the River

Hi y'all! This is Nikki, guest blogging for Jane this afternoon on Day 1 of our trek south. Why am I blogging and not Jane you ask? Well, Jane is a great multitasker but I personally feel much safer that she is not trying to blog and drive at the same time. Right now we are coming to you live from I-55 courtesy of my new laptop and Verizon Broadband card which we are so loving right now. Being able to surf the net on the road is great. When you are not exactly sure how to get to Lambert's you can instantly look it up online. However I would recommend getting a power adaptor in which you plug the laptop into while traveling. We had a to make a pit stop at Wal Mart (what trip would be complete without a trip to Wal Mart?) in Blytheville, AR to remedy the dead battery problem. But we are back online again and are adding a new feature to the blog this week......video blogging. When I got my laptop from Dell the nice people there sent me a free gift....a Flip video recorder. Jane and I have had more fun with this video recorder in the last 5 hours....it is our new favorite toy and we already have multiple video ideas for this trip so be sure to check back for the latest.

Ok, back to the point....we headed out of C-U this morning around 7:00. The trip was fairly uneventful until our arrival at Lamberts' Cafe, Home of the Throwed Roll in Sykeston, MO. If you have never been there it is quite the experience. When they say they throw their rolls, they are not lying. We witnessed rolls being chucked the length of the dining room. Jane and I have decided that we would like to be a roll thrower for a day. We could totally walk around yelling "Hot Rolls!" and throwing them at random people on request. We have also decided that this would make a great celebrity fundraising event. Chris Carpenter needs some rehab work? Head on down to Sykeston and throw some rolls for a day. That could totally loosen up the arm. A few people on our celebrity throwed rolls wish list:

Adam Wainwright: He is a southern boy and could totally feel right at home in a place that serves chicken gizzards and fried okra.

Britt Miller (Illinois linebacker): We're not sure if linebackers can throw but he would definitely make it entertaining. He would be awesome at working the crowd.

Brett Favre: When he retires for real he could still go back to throwing something.

Carrie Walsh and Misty May-Treanor: They could spike your roll at you. A whole new spin on the roll throw.

Matthew McConaughey: This is completely dependent on their no shoes, NO SHIRT policy.

But back to our visit. The food was great as was the service. Jane and I both had a little crush on our waiter Andy. He was super cute and had a major southern accent that was adorable. We got there just in time too. We had absolutely no wait for a table but when we left there were probably 50 people waiting outside. Overall Lambert's is a great place to eat (see more of our Lambert's "rating" in our next post). I highly recommend stopping if you are in the area. Here is a little video clip of our trip to Lamberts.


2 comments:

Abe and Allison said...

Thanks for the video to see the roll-throwing in action. I've never been there, but heard a lot about it. I always wondered if the roll-throwing was as awesome as it was hyped up to be. I have to admit, it's pretty cool!

Sarah said...

Jane and Nik-

Welcome to the dirty south. We open up our deep fryers and invite you to partake of of our culture! Glad you enjoyed Lamberts. It is one of the highlights of the I-55/I-57 trek. You certainly won't walk away hungry if you don't want to.

I wish I were not at work, but were at home hanging with y'all! In T minus a few hours I'm so there! Keep my girls in line.