Saturday, December 15, 2007

JIMMMAAAYYY!!!!

Today the Cardinals announced that they are trading Jim Edmonds, my baseball boyfriend for the past seven plus years, to the San Diego Padres. Oh Jimmy, Jimmy... how I hate to see you go, we have shared some wonderful times... but they say it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

The Jimmy moments over the past seven years have been countless, but I will attempt to describe what exactly James Patrick Edmonds has meant to me. First of all, Jimmy is not an easy man to love. He strikes out a lot... but when he doesn't, oh my, he has been fun to watch. His nickname is "Hollywood", a reference to his So Cal roots, as well as his movie star "hey look at me" attitude. That by itself makes Jimmy an unconventional choice for me, typically I gravitate towards more of the "No-nonsense, buckle down, don't look at me, it is all about the team" kind of guy. Jimmy does everything with flair, and he has just totally sucked me in. Besides the monster home runs or the most dramatic and amazing catches in center field, which you expect to have flair, Jimmy strikes out, jumps out of the way of a pitch, fidgets in the outfield, talks to the media and gets injured with flair. Again, I am not one who usually goes for the dramatic type, but somehow it works for Jimmy, and for me.

It is bittersweet to see Jimmy go, he has brought me so many fond memories, but if trading Jimmy frees up some cash for pitching I have to go with what is best for the team. It saddens me a bit that Jimmy won't retire as a Cardinal, but as a So Cal guy, spending his final year(s)? in baseball close to family and friends makes sense, but he will always be a Cardinal to me. It probably is best for the team, dumping some of his outrageous salary and giving them more flexibility. Jimmy is my age, one of my "Boys of '70 (born in 1970 same as me), and that is relatively old in baseball terms. His bat just isn't what it used to be, and various injuries in recent years have kept him from taking the field everyday.
Many Cards fans will remember the classic Jimmy moments, and I too will never forget; the walk-off homer in Game 6 of the 2004 NLCS to take it to Game 7, "The Catch" in Game 7 of that same NLCS, the amazing over the wall catches against the Reds, and the one running up Tal's Hill at Minute Maid Park, or jumping on the couch in locker room in San Diego after Game 1 of the Division Series in 2006 giving away the "game ball", stepping up as the team veteran to rally the troops to the unforgettable 2006 World Series Championship run. But the three most special Jimmy moments I have were far more personal. First, was in a game against the Cubs when the Cards were getting killed. It was so bad Nikki left during play to get a drink... Nik never leaves during play if she can help it. Jimmy was up to bat and I said to Karen "You know, if Jimmy loves me... he will go yard." I no sooner had the words out of my mouth, when Jimmy belted an HR. He was a bright shiny moment, on an otherwise crappy day. Jimmy does love me. The next Jimmy moment was before a game when Jimmy and another "Boy of '70", Mark Grudzielanek aka "Grudzie", the man with the most amazing blues eyes ever to take the field, were warming up. They were lined up along the first baseline ready to run out to the field and back, and Nikki and I were watching them, noticing they were chatting with each other. I leaned over to Nikki and said that I knew what Jimmy was saying to Grudzie, and they were about ready to take off running... "Okay Grudz, on your mark, get set, go... the winner gets Jane's heart!". Needless to say it was a tie, and they had to race again, and Nikki doubled over in laughter. And of course the best Jimmy moment was when I met him and got his autograph at Winter Warm Up a few years ago. I had dressed up as Jimmy for Halloween that year, with my co-worker Linds as my heckling Cub fan holding a sign "Jimmy Throws Like a Girl!", and gave Jimmy a picture of said Halloween. He was so nice, kind, and genuinely amused by my touching tribute... certainly no Hollywood attitude with me.
So it is with mixed emotions that I say good-bye to Jimmy. I will miss you so, but wish you only the best in San Diego. It is an end to an era, alas I say good-bye to another Cardinal boyfriend. I have only had a few Cardinal boyfriends over the years, Tommy Herr when I was 12, and Andy VanSlyke when I was 16, and now Jimmy in my 30's. I am sure I will love again, but who will my next boy be? I am headed to spring training in March, so maybe some new sparks will fly at Roger Dean Stadium. Who knows?



Farewell James Patrick Edmonds... a part of me will always love you! For one last time let me passionately yell.... "JIMMMAAAYYY!!!!!"
Editors Note: Here are couple of links to various things Jimmy

2 comments:

Abe and Allison said...

We knew it was coming! We've been checking your blog all day long! :) Check out our blog as well!

So sorry to hear....at least it hasn't been EXACTLY 100 years since the last championship!

Anonymous said...

Spring training? Are you staying at my house?

JG