Monday, September 24, 2007

Everything is Bigger in Texas


Just a quick post to let you know that I met my freshman Illini football mentee for the 2007-2008 school year tonight. His name is Cole Knuth, and he is a 6 foot 3 inch, 290 pound offensive lineman who has "walked on" from Prosper, Texas... just north of Dallas. He seems like a pretty good kid, in our first "get to know you" meeting we managed to bond about Starbucks coffee and AT&T Park in San Francisco... I think we will get along just fine :)

He is definitely way bigger than my mentee from last year, Jake... a kicker who was by no means small, but Cole has a good inch and nearly 100 pounds on Jake. Oh, Cole is currently recovering from surgery he had on his foot... a stress fracture that wouldn't heal. Needless to say we bonded over the stress fracture thing too.

I think Cole and I will have a good year. With the Illini 3-1, the mood about the football complex is pretty positive too. Here is the link to Cole's player bio.

I am looking forward to the Illini vs. Penn State game this Saturday. I will be sure to look for Cole on the sidelines (#61 for any of you that will be at the game and wan to play Where's Cole?")... he will likely be out of uniform due to his injury so he should be pretty easy to spot.

No comments: