Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bullpen Buddies: "We'll Be Here All Week"



Sorry I have been a bit of blog slacker but we have pretty much been on the go non-stop. Hopefully I can get y'all caught up on the past few days here in Jupiter.

Monday afternoon we went to the beach, and then we went and checked out the mall in Palm Beach Gardens for a little shopping and dinner. Tuesday morning we went to practice and it was relatively uneventful, but the same cannot be said for Tuesday's game. Our seats were in the first row down the first base line, very near the Cardinals bullpen. Before the game we were taking shifts getting food, and Nik and I totally managed to snag Yadi's autograph while Ang and April were gone. We all got Carp's autograph along with several others. We asked two of the minor league pitchers, Jason Motte and Kyle McClellan, where we should go to have a few drinks and hang out in the evenings. We said "Ya, we just hung out at our hotel pool last night drinking, and that was fun, but we might want to venture out little bit more while we are here". They told us about a few places, especially those near the stadium, and we went to Jumby Bay for dinner Tuesday night and it was really good... so Tuesday's Kudos go to Jason and Kyle.

Flo came out and was signing and I happened to be wearing my "Flores 34" t-shirt. I had him sign the picture of us from "Picture Day" at Busch Stadium, when I asked him if he remembered me he looked up and said "Hey, you sat next to me at Caravan". He asked if I still had the shirt he signed for me and I showed him that I still had a Flo shirt, but that I did get a new one because the signed one is going into the t-shirt quilt my Mom is going to make for me. He was very amused by this and asked if the quilt was for the dog to use in the doghouse... we thought this was funny since there is already quite the canine theme this week with all of the "puppies".

April was wearing a "Johnson 19" tank under her jersey. She has a similar tank that she wore when she met Tyler Johnson at Winter Warm Up a little over a year ago, and he was rather excited to have a fan. Evidently word got around the bullpen that we have a fondness for the relievers because during the first or second inning (during play, not in between innings mind you) Ryan Franklin leaned forward and turned around and was looking at me, and finally got my attention (for the longest time I just assumed he was trying to get someone else's attention) and told me to get April's attention. I leaned over to April and said "Ya, so Ryan Franklin wants to talk to you". He pantomimed to April for her to open her jersey a bit so that he could see whose name and number were on her tank... she reluctantly "flashed" him and the rest of the pen, and he then he just put his head in his hands and then went to the end of the bench to get Tyler and point this out to him. He shyly waved and said "Hi", remembering her from Warm Up, and then April told him that she had to make a new tank. He asked why and she told him because he changed his number from 61 to 19 last season... to which all of his bullpen buddies said "Duh!". As he was walking away I yelled to Tyler "Ya, and you owe her $5 for new rhinestones!" Meanwhile for the rest of the game the bullpen and the bullpen coach, Marty Mason (which for some reason Angie started calling "Perry" even though she is too young to even know that "Perry Mason" was a TV show) kept looking over at us and were very much entertained by everything we said and did. First, they were giggling at Nik and I trying to find the little salamander that Ang and April has seen in front of us that slipped in between the concrete wall and pad/mat. But Ang definitely managed to have them doubled over in laughter a few innings later when she said rather loudly (volume control is something Ang has yet to master:)) "Well, Son of a ...! I just knocked over my beer, that was $7 and now it is on the ground!"

After the game we got Joe Mather's (up and coming outfielder/first baseman and Nik's new favorite) autograph. Nik and I let him know that we met him at Caravan in Bloomington in January. We told him that we were the "4 girls in a mini-van" that we had told him about at Caravan, and he said, "Oh I remember, that Caravan was in the hockey arena, it was really chilly but I was wearing a hoodie so I was fine". Ang then felt compelled to tell him "We will be here all week! Be sure to look for us!"

It started to rain right after the game so we headed back to the hotel. We went to Jumby Bay for dinner and then crashed relatively early since we had a late night drinking cocktails by the pool the night before.

No comments: