Monday, April 7, 2008

I've Got Sunshine...

So this past weekend nice spring weather finally decided to descend upon Illinois. I headed to the QC to see Eric on Friday after work... yippee! We have seen each other three weekends in a row, it is like we are totally boyfriend/girlfriend! :)

Friday we stayed in and watched the Cardinal game on TV. We tried to spot Nikki and her Dad, who were there, but no such luck. Saturday was a beautiful day, so Eric and took about a 3 mile walk along the river. After resting up we went to Prospect Park to see the Music Guild production of the musical "Once Upon a Mattress". Two of Eric's cast mates from the play he did a couple of months ago were performing. The show was great, I had never seen that musical before and it just cute and fun. This production was really well done too.

The nice weather held out for Sunday too, so after church and Sunday School, Eric and I headed to the ballpark. We went to see the Quad Cities River Bandits, the STL Cardinals single A minor league affiliate, take on the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. The River Bandits won... yay!, and I managed to pick out my new favorite future Cardinal, center fielder, Justin Roberson. He is a good hitter, stole a base, and had another heads up base-running play. His "at bat" song was a somewhat unconventional choice, but I rather liked it... "I've Got Sunshine/My Girl". It was just a fun song... and it kind of summed up the day. We had a great time at the game, it was nice to enjoy the fabulous weather and the game together... Eric and I both really love baseball. Later I told him, you know if you are going to go date someone who lives nearly 3 hours away, it is nice that he is conveniently located just a few minutes from where your favorite baseball team's single A minor league affiliate plays. Modern Woodman Park/John O'Donnell Stadium is a nice little ballpark. It is right on the river, kind of like a PNC Park (my favorite ballpark to date) wannabe. I am thinking Eric and I will try to take in as many River Bandit games as possible this season.

On the way home Sunday I stopped at Arby's in Morton. The older gentleman who waited on my took note of my Cardinals gear. He said he got Stan Musial's autograph at Sportsman's Park back in the day. I told him to hang on to that memory, it was special... I think he gave me extra curly fries for that.


1 comment:

Abe and Allison said...

Wow -- That's awesome that Eric has a Cards minor league team right in his own area. What a fun summer you'll have!

Yeah, enjoy getting to know the gas stations, rest areas and fast-food restaurants of I-74. Abe and I joked we would make our own travel guide of I-57!

I used to stop at a certain rest area on my way up and every single time I stopped I always tried to use this one faucet even though it didn't work. (Apparently, I don't have a very good memory.) However, one week it worked for someone else and I was so shocked. I had finally trained myself not to use that faucet and it finally worked! What was even more shocking was that I could tell you exactly how long that faucet had been broken. Oh, the joys of long distance relationships!

All that to say that you get to be REALLY familiar with the route after a while! :)