Thursday, February 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Brewmaster!

Well here is a birthday blog to lift us from the winter blues… seriously what is up with the weather these days... 10 inches of snow, thunder snow, curtains of fog, then torrential rains.

Anywho, Happy Birthday Larry! Larry Pfeiffer is my brother-in-law (or one of the "outlaws" as he says), and I have to admit that even though I have known Larry Dean for more than 25 years I am not absolutely certain that Februrary 7th is his birthday. I am fairly certain it is, but it could be the 9th… I definitely have the right week though, if not the right day.

My sister, Jan, met Larry their first year of college. I don't really remember Jan dating in high school, but then she goes off to college and pretty much comes home with her future husband her first weekend home. They will have been married 25 years in June… talk about getting it right on your first try!! Besides putting up with Jan for a quarter of century, Larry is just a good guy. He is actually one of those people who says "I think I am going to…", then actually does it. One of my favorite Larry pastimes is brewing beer. I have been the beneficiary of many bottles of beer, and I have to admit he does a mean Samuel Adams imitation. Mmmm beer!

Larry taught high school ag/vo-tech for 10 years, then worked for the State of Illinois as an ag/vo-tech education field facilitator (basically a teacher of and resource to teachers) for another 10 years. These days he is the Superintendant for the Regional Office of Education for Macoupin, Calhoun, Greene and Jersey counties. It is an elected position, so Larry hit the campaign trail a number of years back… marching, waving, tossing candy and kissing babies at every parade, fair and festival in the 4-county area with the campaign workers (Jan, Lane & Eric) in tow. He tells some great stories. Way back on the day (in college) Larry worked as a meat cutter at a grocery store… to this day my Mom puts Larry in charge of all meat cutting and cutlery related duties at family functions. Larry slices a mean roast! :)

Larry is a fun guy to be around, but one of things I most admire about him… he is man of faith, and the spritual leader of their household. He definitely models being a servant, especially for his boys, Lane and Eric. Both boys have volunteered for countless church activities, spent time at the food pantry and rung the bell at the Salvation Army red kettle to name a few. Most recently Larry and Eric spent the week between Christmas and New Year in the 9th ward of New Orleans rebuilding houses… they were on the framing and drywall crew. Last spring Lane was awarded the first scholarship/award for volunteerism, named after a schoolmate that passed away in a tragic accident. Larry is a great role model in many ways, but servant leadership is definitely what I think of first.

Happy Birthday Larry! I couldn't ask for a better Outlaw!

Editors Note: I don't really have a good photo of Larry… sorry. Maybe I should take more photos at family gatherings.

No comments: