Monday, February 4, 2008

Wrapped Up in Kindness


So last week I received a package in the mail... an unexpected package. The return address was Easton, Kansas. That is where my football mentee from last season, Jake, is from. It turns out that Jake's mom, Trudi, sent me an orange scarf that she knitted for me, thanking me for being such a good mentor to Jake. As she said in her note "I am so thankful that Jacob (that is his given name, and how he is known back in Kansas) lucked out in the mentor department."

Seriously folks, how nice is that? I met Jake's parents on one occasion, at the football banquet last year. I always thought Jake was a good kid... it evidently runs in the family! I love the scarf! First of all it is orange, and well you all know that orange is a staple in my wardrobe. Second, it is handmade so it is extra special. Finally, it is from Trudi, thanking me for being a good mentor to Jake which is a) technically not even my duty anymore since he is no longer a freshman and no longer on the team (although we are still pretty tight) and b) certainly never was a hardship and most times very enjoyable, since some days I thought Jake should be the one mentoring me.

So Kudos Trudi. Thanks for the scarf, and more importantly the sentiment with which it was sent. Oh, so I didn't really want to take a picture of myself (it always looks like I have an abnormally large head) wearing the scarf and I didn't have a live model handy, so my cabbage patch doll (an original from the 80's I had handy for a recent 80's party), Maybelle Lulu graciously stepped in to model the scarf. Thanks Maybelle Lulu!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That is so sweet. I have two comments that I have to add:

1. Maybelle Lulu is such a southern belle name! Be careful or I may have to steal it
2. M-L looks very Va Tech in the Orange scarf and maroon cheer outfit