Monday, May 12, 2008

This is Taylor!

This week is a busy one for birthday blogs. Today, May 12, is Miss Taylor's birthday. Happy birthday Taylor Marie Tjardes!

Taylor is my younger niece, and is junior at GCMS High School in Gibson City. On Friday evening she qualified or the IHSA state track meet in the pole vault.

Taylor is very mellow and laid back these days, but I definitely remember her going through a bit of a "rage phase" as a little girl. Perhaps it was a way to get noticed as a middle child, but I have to admit it was kind of fun to watch... I enjoy that kind of passion. I thought red heads were supposed to be fiery... not blonds. Taylor was actually a platinum blond as a baby... her hair was almost white as you can see in the picture.
Taylor has provided me with lots of memories. One of my favorites was when I was living with my parents after college, and Phil and Jayne and the girls were staying there as well for several weeks while they were in between houses. Taylor was about three, and she and Ashley has the loudest argument ever about who had more marshmallows in their Lucky Charms. She also managed to cut off the equivalent of a "side pony" of her nearly shoulder length hair. She was supposed to be brushing her teeth, but found the scissors instead. What was funny was that she made a point to close the sink stopper... even at three she didn't want to clog the sink.

Also, I have Taylor to thank for the most amusing answering machine message I have ever received. She was probably about 8 or so, and was selling Girl Scout cookies. The first part of the message "Hi Aunt Jane, this is Taylor. I was just wondering if you wanted to by some Girl Scout cookies." was delivered at a super slow pace, in a very sing songy voice. Then right after that as fast as she could, in a very matter of fact voice was "Call me back, Bye!" I can't do it justice in writing, but next time you talk to me ask me to reenact... it is a classic.

One of my favorite things about Taylor is to watch her with my Dad... she is definitely a Grandpa's girl. Check out this photo below... it is one of my favorites. Only Taylor could ever get my Dad to wear 2000 Millennium party glasses, and a plastic party hat.
Taylor was born on Mothers Day in 1991, and right around Father's Day that same year my nephew Eric was born. They have been best of buddies for 17 years, and it has been fun to watch them grow up together. Here is a picture of them about 14 years ago, at the Easter candy hunt.
As you can see Taylor has come a long way, because here is a picture from her prom last weekend. I got it from her Facebook page... Taylor was one of my first Facebook friends. I in particular I liked this shot... gotta love the thumbs up in the bathroom shot.
Happy Birthday Taylor!

No comments: