Sunday, July 13, 2008

Birthday Blogging: The Rule of 48- Happy Birthday Mrs. Joe Mather


Okay, so July 11th was Nikki's birthday, and if you do the math you will see that I am two days late with her birthday blog. However on the July 11th I was actually out celebrating her birthday with her, so I couldn't really celebrate and blog at the same time... I am no so good as multi-tasking... just ask Eric. Anyway, but then I remembered the Birthday Blogging: Rule of 48, which states that if you are actually out celebrating said birthday you then have an extra 48 hours to write the blog... you know time to rest up from the celebration, download your pictures etc.

So here goes. Happy Birthday Nikki... or should I say Mrs. Joe Mather. As you all know Nikki is my Cardinal buddy and we have a tendency to crush on players now and then, Joe Mather is Nikki's latest crush. He is an outfielder/first baseman that is currently up with the big league team in St. Louis from AAA Memphis. We met him at Cards Caravan in January, and he was super chatty and sweet. Then at Spring Training one day at practice he came trotting by and said "Good Morning Ladies" to Nik, Ang, April and myself. Okay so this on one of the reasons I love Nikki. A few days before we left for Spring Training she sent us an email letting us know that Joe was her new crush and the long shot she was rooting for to make the major league roster and that these were the reasons #1 He was tall, #2 He was very friendly to us at Caravan, #3 He was very cute, especially when he sports the glasses, #4 He is from Idaho, and Nikki very much enjoys potatoes! Only Nik would come up with something like #4.

Friday night we went to celebrate #29 with Nik at 88 Broadway, a new dueling piano bar in Urbana located at Lincoln Square. Nikki loves piano bars, probably because she know the lyrics to pretty much every song ever recorded. I must admit they are lots of fun, and hopefully this one makes it, it gets thumbs up from me although at times it would appear that some of the crowd really wasn't getting the "sing-a-long" concept. It was a fun little group that we had, besides Nik, Eric and myself, our friend Karen and her husband, Ben joined us, along with our "boss" from the Assembly Hall, Nate and his buddy Jamie, and my friend/former co-worker, Allison, and her sister Meg aka Ace.

So here is another reason I love Nikki, taken from a phone conversation on Friday before we picked her up to go to 88 Broadway.

Nik: Hey, what's up?
Jane: We are running a little late, Eric got a late start and we are just now sitting down to dinner, so we will be there at about 8:00 instead of 7:45
Nik: Excellent, now I can stop running around my apartment like a mad woman trying to get ready in time!

I wish everyone got that excited when I was running late!

I am looking forward to another road trip with Nikki in about six weeks. We are headed to Mississippi to see Sarah J, then head with her to New Orleans and then Houston where Eric will meet us for some Cardinal games against the Astros. I am sure we will have lots of stories to tell.

Happy Birthday Nikki!

Editor's Note: This picture is of Nikki with our buddy Nate, not Joe Mather.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish the pic was of me and Joe Mather at my birthday party (no offense Nate...glad you came to my birthday too, but my coworker who promised to get me Joe Mather in a bow for my birthday totally did not come thru on her promise...I was really looking forward to that). Thanks to everyone that did come out for my birthday. I guess people do like me after all :) (except for one person that showed up a wedding this weekend who shall remain nameless). Thanks to Allison and Ace, who brought me a cupcake even though I had never met Ace and have met Allison only once. They were lots of fun and I am glad they came. Thanks to Nate for coming to hang with us "old folks" for awhile and thanks to Nate's roommate Jamie who actually works at 88 Broadway and got sucked in to working while he was there. I feel kinda bad about that one. Thanks to Karen and Ben who made the trip up from Effingham to hang out for a couple hours. I don't get to see them enough anymore. Thanks to Eric for giving up his quiet evening with Jano to hang out in a piano bar for the night after a long day. Thanks to Sarah who tried to play matchmaker at my birthday party even though she was halfway across the country at the time. Too bad her friend was there with another girl. Attempt #147--thwarted again. And of course thanks to Jano Fabulous who totally lives up to her name. I'm glad that I continue to amuse you with my slight nuttiness :)
Ok, I'm going to stop now that I have written a book (shocking I know).
Nikki

Sarah said...

I wish I had been there... And apparently I had matchmaking on my mind because first thing I said when I saw that pic was, who IS that guy with Nikki?