Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hit 'Em in the BallState


Okay so I am little tardy on the blogging... my bad.

Friday I went with Nikki to my first ever UI homecoming parade. The weather was a little drippy but not too bad. The parade theme was Orange Feve and one float featured a disco dancing Rashard Mendenhall... not the actual player but a Rashard-like mannequin sporting a #5 jersey and an 'fro. Good stuff. The through out some serious candy at this parade... I got a full size (2 cups) Reese's, several tootsie rolls, bubble gum and mini football. Okay so the football says TCF Bank, and I work at Busey, but still I love free stuff. I saw my friend Laurie from my church small group playing in the Marching Illini, and one of the floats had two orange and blue pool table balls, crashing into a red Ball State ball, and the frat boy riding shotgun in the truck pulling the float was yelling to the crowd "Go Illini, hit 'em in the ballState! Oh, I love a parade.

Saturday we tailgated a bit, and my brother Phil and my nephew Jeremy joined us, along with my former football player mentee, Jake. It was good to see all of my boys. Jake is a dear for dragging his college boy booty out of bed shortly after 9 a.m. on chilly Saturday morning to eat donuts and drink hot chocolate with me. He received a couple of phone calls while tailgating with us... his ringer... "A Country Boy Can Survive"... very fitting for my little Kansas buddy. Phil and Jeremy helped us kill a few more donuts, and Phil even had a beer with his donut... I would expect nothing less from my brother.

We had our "good seats" for the game, and I had forgotten just how sweet they are. I had a good view of my current football player mentee, Cole #61, on the sidelines. The last time I had those seats was the first game of the season and I hadn't been assigned a mentee yet. Cole is an excellent sideline cheerleader, encouraging the crowd to stand up and get loud.

Sunday I worked the Orange & Blue Scrimmage at the Hall. Former player and new assistant coach, Jerrance Howard was there. When he walked by with a group of recruits I told him "Welcome Back" and he stopped and chatted me up a bit. After the scrimmage he walked past again and told me "Thanks for helping out tonight". He is just so nice and charming... and his smile just lights up a room... welcome home J-How.

Afterwards a group from the Hall headed to Village Inn. We were sitting with Sue (my boss's boss for lack of a better term) and I was telling her about my sweetie. She was quizzing me about him and when I said his name was Richard... she just paused and gave me a funny look. I was like "Sue what's the big deal with his name being Richard". Her response... "OMG, you guys are 'Dick and Jane'!" I guess I have never thought of that before, probably because I never refer to Richard as "Dick". It is usually Richard, Sweetie, Hey You, or Big R which Nikki and Sarah J have taken a shine too. Evidently Nikki is kind of liking the Dick and Jane angle. Today at work were were discussing my lack of blog of late, and I said that I didn't get to it last night because I went to Danville to see Richard. Here response was as follows:

Jane went to visit Dick.
Jane did not blog.
Bad Jane!

To make up for it, I will probably be posting two blogs tonight. I hope all is forgiven :)

Editors Note: The picture is of my mentee, Cole Knuth #61, cheering on his teammates at kick off.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Here are a few comments I must make.

1. I too am amused by the Dick and Jane commentary. Way to go Sue for picking that one up. How long was it staring us in the face? Now you need to get a dog named Spot.

2. Love the frat boys and thier floats! How awesome!