Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Showtune of Gays


My college roommate Jeanne was in town for a quick visit on Tuesday/Wednesday. She lives near Ft. Lauderdale, Florida but was back in Illinois to help her Mom as she undergoes treatment for brain cancer. Jeanne said she was talking to her Mom's doctor and if you had to chose, this is evidently the brain cancer you want... it is treatable and the prognosis is good. That being said, I am sure Jeanne and her family would greatly appreciate any and all prayers you all would like to offer up on their behalf.

So, visiting with Jeanne is always a treat. First of all she showed up on my doorstep with a lovely bouquet of flowers. Her previous stop was her former employer, Rick Orr Florist, so Jeanne just whipped up the arrangement I have pictured at the top of this post to thank me for my hospitality. Jeanne has excellent taste, especially in flowers. She picks out all the flowers I never knew I liked.

We met our college buddy, Scott Larimer, for dinner at El Toro 2. Originally we planned to head to Boltini afterwards, but Jeanne was a bit tired so we just went back to my house to hang out and visit. I made chocolate chip cookies, then Rashid (Jeanne's ex-beau from college days) and his girlfriend, Isabelle joined us. You just can't beat great conversation, cookies and beer! (Abandoning plans for going out for drinks to stay in and bake cookies... yep that is pretty much my life now, and you know what, I kind of like it that way. )

Speaking of conversation, Larimer was telling Jeanne and I about something and said that a lot of his gay friends were there. Jeanne commented that we need a word for a group of gays. For instance you have a gaggle of geese, a pride of lions, a flock of sheep, and _______ of gays. At first Jeanne suggested a "condom of gays"... but she said that was perhaps to obvious or just unpalatable. We pondered a bit more before I came up with a "showtune of gays"... Jeanne and Larimer both declared me brilliant and said I would forever be given credit for that phrase. When Rashid and Isabelle joined us they readily agreed. It was a great night... kind of like college all over again but I have a bigger budget!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

1. Yum for El Toro 2. I wish I were eating there!!!
2. A showtune of gays is fabulous!! Particularly considering the gay-centric-ness of Ugly Betty (see my post)
3. My prayers are definitely with Jeanne and her family!