Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Janner Bananner


Another birthday blog. Today, January 14th is my sister Jan's birthday. Yep, Jan and Jane isn't that just too cute. Jan Ellen (Tjardes) Pfeiffer turns 47 today. From January to May each year, my sister is 10 years older than me... I like that it makes for easy math.

Happy Birthday Jan!

The title of this post refers to the name our Uncle Harry called Jan growing up. It hasn't been used in years, and I don't know if anyone really remembers it, but I just always thought it sounded cool for some reason, and hate to admit that I didn't have a fun little nickname like that. Not that Jano isn't a great nickname, but let's face it I did have to add the "Fabulous" myself to make it POP!

Jan lives in Carlinville, Illinois (between Springfield and St. Louis for those of you lacking Captain Map skills) with her husband, Larry and their two boys, Lane (19) and Eric (16) and their THREE labs! She shares the house with three boys and three dogs... sometimes it can get a little crazy there... but Jan remains relatively sane.

Being 10 years her junior, I think one of Jan's greatest joys in life was teaching me to do something as a small child, being all excited for me and cheering my accomplishments and such. Now before you get all "Aw, what a great sister" on me, it doesn't sound quite as charitable when you realize that most of the things she taught me were things that she wanted me to do FOR her. For instance, we grew up int the 70's before TV's had remote controls, from the age of 4 on I was pretty much the human remote control/channel changer at our house. Alas, the joys of being the older sister. Oh well, I am glad to give her that joy because poor Jan did have to share a room with me the entire time we both lived at our parents house... that could not have been fun at all.

Jan and I don't have all that much in common as far as daily lifestyle and routine go... but we do share two things. The love of Cardinals baseball, and peas! I am not really sure how it happened but our father passed on his love of baseball to his two daughters, not his only son. Jan even keeps a scorecard at the baseball games... very impressive. I do upon occasion, but I have to think too much about it so if I keep score I feel like I am missing all of the people watching opportunities. Oh, and the other thing... my sister and I both love peas! Jan prefers hers creamed, while I prefer my plain. (As a side note, one of the ways my mom completely spoiled me is that when making peas for dinner she would often set aside a bowl of plain peas for me before creaming the rest for Jan and and casual pea lovers dining with us at the time).

One of my favorite Jan stories actually took place before me (or at least before I had memory of it), but it has been told many a time. One day our cousin, Link (about 3 years Jan's junior) was at our house playing with our brother. Evidently Link was just driving Jan insane, bothering her pestering her and she finally snapped. So, she got a couple of jump ropes and tied Link to the door and then went into the other room. I think Link pleaded with Phil to save him, but he was afraid Jan had some more jump ropes and there was still an available door. I love that kind of take charge, woman in control attitude... you go sister-friend!

Given the whole Jan/Jane thing, I was often referred to as "Jan" growing up... teachers, people at church, occasionally our parents. When I was younger it drove me nuts, now that I am older and wiser and realize that my sister is pretty fabulous in her own right... I don't really mind.

Happy Birthday Jane... ooopps I mean Jan!

Editors Note: All of the truly embarrassing pictures of Jan are at my parents house. I will be nice and post this one instead. I hate to admit but I don't think I was that cute as a toddler.

No comments: