Saturday, January 12, 2008

"I am gonna have to have a talk with that boy!" and other random stuff

So there have been a few little things that have come up, or that I remembered I wanted to share, so here is a random assortment of things... not big enough for their own post perhaps, but definitely worth sharing.

#1 As our small group leaders meeting was wrapping up earlier today the topic turned to NFL football. Donna (she would be my friend Allison's mom) piped up with a couple of comments about the Dallas Cowboys one being about Dallas QB Tony Romo, "What is up with him hanging out with that Jessica girl? I am going to have to have a talk with that boy!" Donna and Tony are fellow EIU alums, and evidently those Panthers look out for one another. For whatever reason hearing Donna say that just made me laugh out loud... I just wasn't expecting that from her. I know Donna is a big Cardinals fan, but the "Romo Love" was a new discovery. Anyway, Donna is one of my more loyal readers, and she made me laugh today so Kudos to Donna.

#2 So this was a discovery I made several months ago, but I have forgotten to share. At the beginning of basketball season I learned that "Tootsie Roll Guy" passed away this spring. To give you just a little background, at the Assembly Hall we have ushers that work the top and bottom of the A section aisles at basketball games on on a permanent basis, they check to make sure each patron has a ticket for that section. Some of the ushers have had those permanent spots for many years, so they are very well known by their patrons in their section. Sue works at the bottom of A2, near the Illini bench. For years there was an older gentleman who sat in Row 4 of Section A2 and at every game he would take a tootsie roll out of his pocket and toss one to Sue, and if I was working the floor that night and standing near Sue he would toss me one too. It was just really sweet, and I always made a point to hang out near Sue when I was working that section, especially before the game because the "tootsie toss" was just enjoyable... I never dropped a tootsie roll, and it just so happens they are one of my favorite candies. Anyway earlier this season I was talking to Sue at a women's game and the topic of Tootsie Roll Guy came up, and I asked if he was back this season (his season tickets were for men's games only). Anyway, Sue told me that he had passed away last spring/summer. I was really sad for a few minutes. It was kind of crazy to be so sad about the death of a virtual stranger, but he was a stranger who always brightened my day when I saw him. Rest in peace Tootsie Roll Guy, I remember you fondly every time I have a tootsie roll.

#3 On the topic of Candy Men, there is also "Mint Guy" at the Assembly Hall. He is acquaintances with a couple of our staff, and he has season tickets to both men's and women's basketball games. When he gets to the games always takes a lap around the arena and hands out mints to our staff. And they are good mints too, the Bob's Sweet Stripe mints, my favorites. One time one of our student ushers who didn't work many games told me "Yeah, some guy just handed me a mint, what is that about? I am not sure I should eat it, you know candy from a stranger and all." I told her, "He's not a stranger, he is the Mint Guy", if you don't want it I will take it. I have chatted with the Mint Guy, and I think his name is Jim, but I just like to call him Mint Guy. Oddly enough, Mint Guy has added tootsie rolls to his mint stash this season. Normally I opt for the mint if given a choice, the Mint Guy's tootsie rolls just are quite as sweet and the ones from Tootsie Roll Guy.

#4 The other night at the woman's game I filled in at A32 aisle for Larry. Larry rarely misses a game, and boy were his patrons quick to tell me about it. This was a women's game so there were no more than 20 people in his section, but let me tell you I had 20+ "Where's Larry?" inquiries. There was definitely some separation anxiety. The Illini won that game that night, a game they were not favored to win. A couple of Larry's patrons told me that while they certainly missed Larry, I was evidently pretty good luck and that I was welcome to fill in for him any time. That made me smile.

#5 While that made me smile, what made me fall over laughing that night before the game was my pal, Hank, who works security at the Hall. During the pre-game the sound system was playing The Pussycat Dolls song "Don you wish your girlfriend was a freak like me", and Hank was standing in the doorway of the tunnel "shaking his groove-thang" for me and Nikki who was work the A11 aisle. The fully appreciate this you have to know that Hank is a very tall and broad man, with a bald head and a beard... well he can look really scary sometimes... not your typical "shake your groove-thang" kind of guy. Besides the dance itself, it was extra funny because last season Hank took to asking Nik and I "Don't ya wish your boyfriend was a freak like me?" and well you just can't help but giggle.

Well that is it. I warned y'all it was random :)

No comments: