Friday, January 25, 2008

Movin' on Up: I have sat at the same desk since 1997

So today at work our department made a temporary move, before we move to our permanent new office space in Champaign later this spring. As far as moves go this one was pretty simple, we just moved to different office space/cube farm on the same floor. My new space is more than adequate, especially on a temporary basis but it is kind of weird to be at a new desk and well frankly I am exhausted from the uprooting. Again, this move isn't that big of a deal but it is just slightly overwhelming for me because I had been sitting at my previous desk since 1997! Yep that is right, I had been sitting at the same desk for more than 10 years!

Ah 1997... can you remember what you were doing back then? I am going to be completely-1997 lazy and cut and paste from "I Love the 1990's-1997" to remind you all what was going on back then.

I smell sex and candy...oh wait that's just 1997! What other year can boast about a talking chihuahua, Dolly the first cloned sheep, the first septuplets were born (that's 7 children at once) Ellen came OUT! And as if we didn't know already, Fiona Apple told us that the world was "bulls**t"...nice. Iron Mike Tyson went on a biting frenzy and we were introduced to Matt & Ben...thank GOD. And in case that line up doesn't impress you , 1997 gave birth to true girl power - the Spice Girls told us what we really really wanted, Ally McBeal showed us the you really could be a better lawyer if you wore a mini skirt, talked to a dancing baby and not eat EVER. Buffy kicked eveyone's ass in a sassy pair of Manolo Blahniks. I'm flying, oh wait I'm sinking! Titanic ruled the box office and millions went home with the theme song stuck in their head FOREVER...thanks Celine. Tamagotchi helped us figure out it was easier to take care of an electronic pet than a real one. "How Bizaare"..."How Bizaare".MMMM Bop your way into 1997 "I Get Knocked Down, but I get up again"... been sitting at my previous desk since 1997!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah...1997...I graduated from high school, moved to C-U and began my string of Illini basketball boyfriends with one Mr Brian Johnson aka "the tall white guy" of the team, a trend that continued thru Jack Ingram (aka Jackers). Can't really do that anymore...that would just be creepy. Oh, and in football it was Fred Wakefield, aka "my Freddy"...loved him too. Ooo...That would also be the year I had breakfast with a pre-"That's a threeeee" Cory Bradford before he was allowed to actually play on the team due to that whole pesky ACT score rule. If I only knew then the absolute awesomeness I was eating with. Plus, 1997 was also the year that I learned that they hired students to work as ushers at the Assembly Hall thanks to one of the girls on my floor who got a job there and I made a mental note to check that out Sophomore year. Memories...1997 was a good year.

Nikki

Abe and Allison said...

I graduated high school in '97, too. Ah...memories of season tickets to Mizzou football...rushing the field and tearing down the goal post...living in half a room with a random person...yeah...I don't miss dorm life! It's cool to know that the college friends I still keep in touch with I've now known for 10 years! Oh, I'm so old!

Sarah said...

BI too was a high school graudate in /97 - yep '97- 9-9-9-9-97 as the cheer went. That was a great year - I finally got to leave the tiny town of fox lake and join the real world where it was ok to be a nerd. That was a year I got to start learning who I really was. I've forgotten a lot of what went on that year - and it is really best to have forgotten taht stuff!