Monday, November 19, 2007

Breaking Up Is Hard to Do: The Sporty Girl Version

So if you read yesterday's blog you know that Richard and I broke up. It has been crappy, but I have survived 24+ hours relatively intact with the help of some fabulous friends. I have also discovered two advantages to being a sports lovin' girl when it comes to break-ups.

#1 As a sports fan I am not completely unaccustomed to heartache; the Illini losses in the Elite Eight to Arizona in 2000 or the National Championship game in 2005, Rick Ankiel self destructing in the playoffs, Illinois losing to Michigan in the Final Four in 1989. I have loved and lost before and managed to survive. Now I am not a Cub fan so I am not used to nearly 100 years of heartache, but I think you get my point. Plus, let us not forget that sometimes the biggest of heartaches just only make the comebacks that much sweeter. Rick Ankiel the MLB outfielder is that much more special given the melt-down of Rick Ankiel MLB pitcher. As for the Arizona loss... it just made the amazing comeback against them in 2005 to get to the Final Four that much sweeter.

#2 Today I discovered that as a girl knowledgeable about sports you can completely trash your ex's favorite team, and all be darned if it isn't incredibly cathartic. Plus, trashing your ex's team makes you less pathetic and bitter than trashing the ex. Today I so trashed the Patriots and their coach, Bill Belicheat... it was really easy to do with the help of a die-hard Colts fan co-worker. Today's Kudo's go to said Colts fan co-worker... Mike Orton. Trashing the Patsies (as Mike calls them) was kind of fun. Okay, so maybe it makes me a bad person to do that but I really don't care. If it makes it any better, when Mike said he wanted Tom Brady to get hit really hard, I said that I didn't want him to get hit in the face because he is hott and I don't want anybody to "hurt the pretty"... so that makes me a better person, right?
If you can think of any other sporty girl break-up advantages please post them in the comments.

No comments: