Monday, November 12, 2007

Cirque du Just do it already

So on Friday night I worked Cirque du Soleil Saltimbanco at the Hall. Although I greatly enjoyed the actual performances, the juggling, trapeze acts etc., I discovered that the whole gay, French, theatrical part is so completely lost on me. I am sure part of it was that I was working (read standing) so all of the extra theatrical stuff leading up to the actual performance just meant that much longer on my feet. The costumes involved in this particular show reminded me a bit of Teletubbies and/or Dr. Seuss characters... but not just a regular Sneetch, more like Sneetch on acid! Like I said earlier the actual performers were amazing, and there was one clown that was incredible. In the second half he brought a man from the audience on the stage and it was hysterical... part of that was just picking a really good sport from the audience though. Some of the other clowning got old pretty quick, but that happens to me at regular circus too... even as a child I had a bit of cynic in me. After about 5 minutes I would be "Yeah, yeah, yeah you aren't funny anymore, bring on the lion tamer and the Flying Rumba Brothers.", and as an adult it has just intensified. Also, there was a really cool quartet of bungee jumping trapeze artists, but the cracked out Teletubbies running around that lead up to this act and others, so not my thing. Although a good portion of this show was completely lost on me, most of the audience really enjoyed it. So if you are looking for a review, I don't know that I could give you one because obviously this really isn't my cup of tea. I was very glad I had the opportunity to work the show and see it, but I am very glad I didn't spend $65 to see it... I could go see both a baseball game and a football game for that!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thank you for your sneeches comment - it made my day. it is amazing how many people are not down with sneeches and dr. seuss.

I think Cirque is generally something you either love or hate. I also think it is cooler in vegas because everything is cool and over the top in vegas.

the only time i actually saw cirque it was a "rock extravaganze" cirque - and i liked it - but i'm the type of person who would like it...