Monday, July 9, 2007

Straigthen Up & Fly Right: A Birthday Story


Continuing with the July birthday posts... I wasn't lying, everyone I know was born in July. Today, July 9th, is Linda Smith's birthday. I work with Linda at Busey Bank. There are a lot of Linda's that work here... there is even another Linda Smith. My Linda Smith is our part-time administrative assistant in the commercial lending department... shef ills in for the other AA's or the receptionist when they are gone, does all of our filing, and is basically the go-to girl. So that is her official job description, but to me she is best buddy, girlfriend, therapist, fashion advisor, finder of lost things, life coach, confidant, recipe tester, and most recently waitress. When I was in a cast and on crutches this past spring for six weeks I was unable to get to our employee break room/lounge because it was down a flight of steps and not accessible by the elevator. I had to bring my lunch everyday, and I was bringing sandwiches/cold lunch because I didn't want anyone to have to wait and heat up my lunch... it was bad enough I had to ask co-workers to take it down and put it in the refrigerator in the morning and bring it to me at lunch. Linda said you can't eat sandwiches for six weeks, bring a frozen dinner I will heat it up and bring it to you, and so she did... for weeks, always with a smile on her face and often with a diet pepsi in tow as well... just in case I was needing a pick me up. Don't get me wrong, all of my co-workers took wonderful care of me during my castastic days, but Linda went above and beyond. I will never forget that kindness.

Linda's birthday is extra special this year. Not just because it ends in zero, but because she was very close to not being able to celebrate it... she was in a nasty car accident with her two children almost two weeks ago, and praise God they survived. The kids were basically just scratched and banged up and really scared, but Linda suffered a concussion, cracked ribs and will have to have surgery on her cracked/displaced collar bone soon. Please keep Linda and her family in your thoughts and prayers. Linda is an angel, and she has a broken wing right now, but let's all pray for her to "straighten up and fly right" soon.

Happy Birthday Linda Smith!!!

No comments: